Cockroach Janta Party Blocked: Timeline of Government Action (May 2026)
Published 2026-05-23 · Updated 2026-05-24 · CJP Newsroom
The CJP X account was blocked May 21, Instagram account access was lost May 23, and cockroachjantaparty.org was blocked the same day under Section 69A of the IT Act. This site (cockroachjantaparty.buzz) is live.
Eight days after it was born, the Cockroach Janta Party had its X account withheld, its Instagram hacked, and its primary website blocked. Every action came from the Indian government or from actors who moved the same week the government acted. Here is every event, in order, with sources for every claim about named individuals.
May 15, 2026 — The Spark
Chief Justice of India Surya Kant referred to student protesters as "cockroaches" during a Supreme Court hearing on fake law degrees. (The Siasat Daily; full transcript at CJI Surya Kant Remark) The remark was made in open court, reported nationally within hours, and circulated on every major platform by evening. Kant's office later issued a clarification saying the comment targeted fraudulent degree applicants, not unemployed youth — but the phrase had already left the courtroom. Within hours, Abhijeet Dipke, a public relations student at Boston University, registered the Cockroach Janta Party name and began drafting its founding manifesto.
May 21, 2026 — X Account Withheld
The CJP X/Twitter account (@cockroachjantaparty) was withheld within India, citing a MeitY order under Section 69A of the Information Technology Act. The stated basis was an Intelligence Bureau report alleging the account posed a threat to India's "national sovereignty." The account remained visible to users outside India. Dipke described the block as an "own goal" for the government, saying the action would only drive more attention to the movement. (Scroll.in and Deccan Herald)
May 21, 2026 — Death Threats
On the same day his X account was withheld, Dipke said he had received death threats on social media. He quoted the message directly: "Close down CJP or get killed." (Deccan Herald and The Print)
Dipke did not say who sent the threats. No arrests have been reported in connection with them.
May 21, 2026 — Dipke's Arrest Fear
Speaking from Boston, Dipke said he feared what would happen when he returned to India: "I feel that as soon as I land at Delhi airport, a convoy of Delhi Police will take me to Tihar Jail." (Republic World) Tribune India reported separately that his parents were "anxious and fear his arrest." (Tribune India) No FIR had been filed against Dipke as of May 23, 2026.
May 23, 2026 — Instagram Access Lost and Website Blocked
Two days after the X block, the CJP Instagram account — which had accumulated more than 20 million followers and surpassed BJP's Instagram count within four days of launch — was hacked and access was lost entirely. Dipke's personal Instagram was also compromised the same day. By the same evening, cockroachjantaparty.org was blocked in India under Section 69A. (The Print, Business Today, and Al Jazeera)
The .buzz community site — the one you are reading now — was not blocked.
May 23, 2026 — Political Reactions
Congress MP Shashi Tharoor called the X account suspension "disastrous and deeply unwise," and described CJP as a "revelation" of the frustration felt by Indian youth over unemployment, inflation, and the NEET paper leak scandal. (Tribune India)
Activist Sonam Wangchuk posted a statement in solidarity: "I consider myself an honorary cockroach." He urged the government to listen to the voices of youth rather than silence them. (Deccan Herald and The Print)
Dipke, in an interview with Newslaundry, reflected on how quickly things had escalated: "I started a joke…now I get death threats." (Newslaundry)
May 23, 2026 — Backup Accounts Also Removed
After the main @cockroachjantaparty X handle was withheld, the backup account @cockroachisback — which had rapidly accumulated approximately 198,600 followers — was also taken down. The backup Instagram account @cockroachneverdies_ was removed as well. (The Week)
Dipke confirmed the removals across platforms, stating the accounts had been either hacked or suspended. The pattern left the movement without any major social media presence on either X or Instagram within India.
May 22–23, 2026 — Bengaluru Protest Warning and Dipke's Disavowal
Bengaluru Police issued a public advisory warning citizens not to assemble near Town Hall for a "human chain" protest that had been announced in the name of a "CJP Karnataka" group. Police stated no permission had been granted for the event. (Outlook India and IBTimes India)
Dipke moved quickly to distance CJP from the event. He issued a statement directly: "Cockroach Janta Party has not given any call for protest. Please be careful. They are waiting for just one mishap to demonise our movement." (WION News) This connects to the broader pattern of attempts to delegitimise CJP that had been escalating since the X block.
May 23, 2026 — Rights Groups Condemn Crackdown
The Internet Freedom Foundation (IFF) issued a formal statement calling the X block a "blatant misuse of State power" and an "arbitrary and disproportionate attempt to stifle freedom of speech and expression" under Article 19(1)(a) of the Constitution. (Internet Freedom Foundation and CIOL)
Amnesty International India also weighed in: "The withholding of the CJP account shows how quickly political humour becomes a target once it reaches a mass audience." (KMS News) The condemnations came from two of the most prominent civil liberties organisations active in India, and followed Dipke's earlier reports of death threats that had already drawn attention to the personal cost of founding CJP.
May 24, 2026 — Bengaluru Protest Does Not Materialise
The Town Hall protest that Bengaluru Police had warned against did not take place. Dipke's public disavowal held — the event was postponed and cancelled without incident. (OneIndia) The episode illustrated the risk Dipke had flagged: that unauthorized events under the CJP name could be used to paint the movement as disruptive, as part of a broader campaign to delegitimise CJP.
What This Means: The .buzz Site Is Not Blocked
cockroachjantaparty.buzz — this site — is operational and has not been subject to any blocking order. The blog, manifesto, leaders page, and membership form at /join remain fully accessible. Membership is open.
Satirical political parties have a long history in Indian democracy. The crackdown on CJP is among the fastest on record — eight days from launch to the first block — but it has not removed the movement from the internet. The .buzz domain holds the community site, the archives, and the join link. The cockroach, as the metaphor goes, survives everything.
For the broader context of what the government blocked and why the .org domain was targeted, see the full crackdown explainer. For the Pakistan-followers disinformation campaign that preceded the blocks, see the fact-check.
Cockroaches survive everything. So does this site.
Join CJP — ₹499Related: CJP Website Blocked: Full crackdown timeline · 404 Democracy Not Found — Dipke's response · Pakistan followers claim: fact-check
Sources: Scroll.in, Deccan Herald (X block), Deccan Herald (death threats), The Print (death threats), Republic World, Tribune India (parents), The Print (Instagram hack), Business Today, Al Jazeera, Tribune India (Tharoor), Deccan Herald (Wangchuk), The Print (Wangchuk), Newslaundry, The Week (backup accounts), Outlook India (Bengaluru police advisory), IBTimes India (Bengaluru police advisory), WION News (Dipke disavowal), Internet Freedom Foundation, CIOL (IFF statement), KMS News (Amnesty International India), OneIndia (Bengaluru protest postponed)